Sunday, April 25, 2010
Friday, April 23, 2010
Tuesday, April 20, 2010
1. Ever had any run-ins with the "library police?"
Nope. The video rental police, however, that's a different story.
2. Do you have a special organizational plan and place for wrapping paper, gift bags, etc., or do you just purchase whatever you need as you give gifts?
I have a tote with bags, tissue, bows and a few boxes. I also have a tall container for wrapping paper. I try to buy the stuff when it's on sale and I usually reuse the bags I'm given.
3. Have you ever been in (first-hand witness) a natural disaster?
Thankfully NO! My closest relation to natural disasters has been the whole "getting struck by lightening" incident, experiencing a tremor when I lived in California, and all the "go to the basement" episodes that living in Indiana in the Spring creates.
4. What's your favorite Barry Manilow song?
Okay, I honestly almost threw up when I read this question. There was a time, long ago when I didn't abhor Barry Manilow music. That was before I worked for a lady who was in her mid 30's and was seriously a Manilow groupie (think screaming pre-teen girls at a Jonas Bros. concert). If he was playing anywhere within a days drive she went to see him and it was all she talked about for weeks before and after. She played his music continuously. Honestly, if I never heard another one of his songs for the rest of my life that would be fine with me. Prior to this Manilow torture I'd have probably picked Mandy.
5. What's the best costume you've ever worn?
I really don't know. I've been everything from a ladybug to Liza Minnelli in Cabaret. The worst, though, was when I was a kid and dressed up as a robot made out of a large cardboard box spray painted silver. It was a cute costume but I fell up and down a lot of porch steps that year.
6. Which do you use more often, the dictionary or the thesaurus?
Thesaurus - I'm pretty good at spelling (not typing) and knowing what words mean so I rarely use a dictionary. However (after all, all the same, anyhow, be that as it may, but, despite, for all that, in spite of, nonetheless, notwithstanding, on the other hand, though, withal, yet ), I will consult a thesaurus to keep from using the same word over and over.
7. What's your favorite breakfast food?
Pecan pancakes with real maple syrup.
8. Have you ever purchased anything from an infomercial?
Not that I can think of.
9. Have you ever crawled through a window?
Yep, to break in to my own house when I locked myself out. Broke a window once for the same reason.
10. Do you believe in love at first sight?
Lust at first sight or like at first sight-YES. Love - NO.
11. How many pairs of jeans do you own?
Own or own and that fit? Nine pair that I can wear (this includes one I don't really like and one I can only wear at home) and three pair that I'm hoping to get back into!
12. If someone were going to bake a cake to honor/represent you, what would it be? (Think creatively, like Duff and Crew on "Ace of Cakes.")
Well, since I think Duff can do almost anything I'd say a "travels" cake that also incorporated being a Mom and Grammy. I'd love something with mini scenes representing each of the 50 states that included taking the kids to Disney World when they were little and to see Rock City. There could be scenes of hubby and I in Alaska and New Orleans and scenes of other places that I hope to be able to take the grandbabies some day.
Sunday, April 18, 2010
Friday, April 16, 2010
Wednesday, April 14, 2010
1. How do you feel about "Gladiator" sandals, also called "Roman" or "Jesus" sandals? A fashion yea or nay?
I think a few of the styles are cute but it's almost impossible for me to find any that will fit and not drive me crazy. It's the same problem I have with short boots-with my short legs the top ends up gouging my calf muscle.
2. What is your favorite pizza?
It's a toss up between a Pizza King royal feast and a Papa Murphy's Herb Chicken Mediterranean.
3. There are plans in the works to sell roughly 1,000 items from Star Trek: The Experience in Las Vegas. This means you could buy Picard's chair for your family room. If not a Star Trek item, what prop, background, set, etc. from what TV or movie would you buy if you could? [Ex: Hurley's "I Love my Shih tzu" shirt from LOST, the plantation home "Tara" from Gone With the Wind, or Tracy's tambourine from the Partridge Family.]
Sawyer from LOST - oops, that's a person. Okay, how about the hot air balloon from the Wizard of Oz.
4. Name a local food or restaurant that your area is famous for.
Wickes Sugar Creme Pie
5. What is your current favorite snack?
Trader Joes black bean dip with blue corn tortilla chips with flax seed has overtaken hummus and Stacy's pita chips.
6. Hypothetical: You are required to be a reality show contestant. Which show would you choose based on your probability of success? (You cannot choose "none.")
A. Dancing with the Stars
B. Biggest Loser
D. The Amazing Race
7. On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being uninhabitable and 10 being cleanliness that meets the standards of OCD, how clean is your vehicle's interior?
If hubby hasn't borrowed it recently it's probably about a six.
8. It doesn't feel like Spring until the daffodils in my yard bloom .
9. Something that made you laugh really hard recently is my three year old grandaughter telling me "it's quite a predicament".
10. Tell me about a goal you're working toward.
Opting for my second thought - pushing myself outside of my comfort zone at least 2 or 3 times each week.
11. Share a thought-provoking or inspiring quote this week.
I don't know who said it but a friend just posted this on Facebook: The strength of a man isn't in the deep tone of his voice- it's in the gentle words he whispers. The strength of a man isn't how many buddies he has- it's how good of buddies he is with his children. The strength of a man isn't in how respected he is at work- it's in how respected he is at home. The strength of a man isn't in the weight he can lift- it's in the burdens he can carry.
12. Name one thing that you do as a parent that you absolutely know will make your kids happy. If you're not a parent, feel free to substitute "friend" or nomenclature that works for you.
You write that like there is one thing that will make all of them happy! Pretty sure that would be different for each of them and range from "I'll take insert grandchild's name here for the day if you want" to "we're fixing steak tonight if you want to join us."
Sunday, April 11, 2010
Friday, April 9, 2010
Wednesday, April 7, 2010
1. Define a great relationship.
Seriously! I decided to do RD today as a distraction from all the relationship issues that I and others close to me are having at the moment. Therefore, I refuse to answer on the grounds that it might incriminate/overwhelm/irritate me or others who read my blog.
2. Why is it called a "drive-through" if you have to stop? (Real question: What was the last food/drink you purchased at a drive-through?)
It was McDonalds on the way home from Chicago a couple weeks ago. I rarely go to a drive-through anymore but it was late and we were all hungry. I had the Mac Snack. I justified it by the fact that it had to be better than eating an entire Big Mac and it took care of my once a year craving for one.
3. As I type this, the Butler Bulldogs are getting ready to play in the NCAA championship game. Every Hoosier is hysterical about this except me. So in honor of the Bulldogs ... what is your favorite breed of dog? (I tried.)
4. If you had to move to a state besides the one you currently live in, where would you move?
5. If you could change anything about the way you were raised, what would it be?
Honestly, I can't think of anything. My parents weren't perfect but they were very good, loving, and consistent. At age 14 to 18 I'm sure I'd have wanted to change a lot of things but now that I'm older and wiser...
6. Who's the funniest person you know?
That's a tie between you, Lidna, and my daughter Shantelle who could probably make a good living as a stand up comedian.
7. Did you get enough sleep last night?
Yes - I always sleep better when I can have the windows open.
8. What's the first thing you thought about this morning?
I usually pray first thing in the morning before I get out of bed but my very first thought this morning was about what the weather was going to be like today.
9. Grilled or Fried? --HONESTLY
It depends completely on what I'm eating. Almost all meats as an entree I prefer grilled. However, if I'm having a salad with chicken on it I prefer that fried. I know, I know.
10. Are you afraid of the dark?
Nope, although I did get a little nervous the night I was out at 2:00 a.m. watching a meteor shower (so had all the outside lights turned off) and heard some kind of animal in the woods.
11.When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
At what age? I remember wanting to be a dancer - then I took lessons and found out that wasn't one of my talents. I wanted to be a nurse - then I volunteered at the hospital... I went through a "teacher" phase because that's what a lot of my family does. In high school and college I wanted to be a journalist. Through all of that I always wanted to be a Mom and that (and being a Grammy) is still my favorite thing to be.
12. If you had one word to describe yourself , what would you choose?