Thursday, September 27, 2007

Perseverance-Thursday Thirteen

God has been dealing with me lately on perseverance (or my lack thereof) - my temptation to either give up on, forget to think about, or continue to pursue prayers, people, exercise, personal growth, etc. For example, when I've been praying for someone's salvation for quite a while and no change seems to be coming, I may just neglect to continue praying for that specific thing for that person. It may be the desire to give up on ever getting into a regular exercise routine or growing weary of pursuing a better, more authentic relationship with someone or trying to change a trait I don't like in myself. I had almost convinced myself that it was "no big deal" if I let down or backed off. Then I ran across the following verse: Because you have kept My command to persevere, I also will keep you from the hour of trial which shall come upon the whole world, to test those who dwell on the earth. Revelation 3:10 NKJ That was enough to get my attention. I then wondered how important my perseverance is to God? How often is perseverace mentioned in the Bible and with regard to what. Below are just thirteen (Thursday Thirteen) of the verses encouraging us to persevere:
  • Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. I Corinthians 13:6-7 NIV
  • Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers. I Timothy4:16 NIV
  • You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised. Hebrews 10:36 NIV
  • By faith he left Egypt, not fearing the king's anger; he persevered because he saw him who is invisible. Hebrews 11:27 NIV
  • Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him. James 1:12 NIV
  • Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Hebrews 12:1 NIV
  • Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. James 1:2-3 NIV
  • Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. James 1:4 NIV
  • As you know, we consider blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of Job's perseverance and have seen what the Lord finally brought about. The Lord is full of compassion and mercy. James 5:11 NIV
  • For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. II Peter 1:5-8 NIV
  • I know your deeds, your hard work and your perseverance... Revelation 2:2 NIV
  • I know your deeds, your love and faith, your service and perseverance, and that you are now doing more than you did at first. Revelation 2:19 NIV

Definition of perseverence: steady persistence in a course of action, a purpose, a state, etc., especially in spite of difficulties, obstacles, or discouragement. Syn: steadfastness, persistence, tenacity, constancy, continuance, purposefulness, dedication, determination, diligence.

1 comment:

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Um, as our beloved pastor would say, "This dog'll hunt!" You preached to me today. I plan to link to this post.