time I hear someone (or myself) use one
of these overused or misused
- It is what it is. Well, yes, what else would it be?
- I can't help it. Really? You can't or you won't/don't want to?
- Whassup? Is it really that hard to pronounce those two words or does it take that long that we have to try to squish it into one "word".
- Sorry/I'm sorry. This is great if it is a genuine apology for an actual offense or even when used to indicate compassion (as in, " I'm sorry you had to go through that.") but not in place of excuse me or other phrases when you didn't hear what someone said. Also, not when you've done nothing wrong. If you say I'm sorry and I have to ask for what you probably don't need to be saying it. (There are some exceptions of course if you've done something awful that I just don't know about yet.)
- OMG/LOL. While this may be fine while texting, emailing, etc. saying it out loud in a conversation just sounds stupid.
- Are we there yet? Clearly not if we are still driving/flying /walking.
- Is it Friday yet? Guilty! So I understand the sentiment but it is very overused.
- TGIF/Thank God it's Friday. Closely related to the above except I don't say it!
- I am what I am. As a statement of fact, it is obvious and redundant. As an excuse refer to #2.
- For a limited time only. If actually true, it's annoying and, as is more often the case, if it means for a limited time till the next limited time it is doubly annoying.
- I was just kidding/joking/teasing. Usually stated as an excuse after saying something mean, insensitive, or offensive.
- Flustrated. You can be flustered or you can be frustrated. You can even be flustered and frustrated. You cannot, however, be flustrated - it is not a word!
- Family values. One of the most overused/deceptive phrases in politics. Whose values? My family's, your family's? If you are touting them as a reason for me to vote for you and you mean Christian values, than have the guts to say that and be sure it encompasses all Christian values not just one key issue. Further, be careful that you are attempting to live those values and are making your personal choices based on all of them, not just giving lip-service to them.