Thursday, March 26, 2009

Thursday Thirteen - When I Grow Up

This unexpected unemployment has gotten me thinking about what I really want to do with the rest of my life, career wise anyway. I've been talking with friends, taking quizzes, reading "What Color is Your Parachute", and other things to try to figure out my next step. So far, I haven't come up with anything that has made me shout YES. THAT'S IT! Therefore, today's 13 is a list of things I've thought about being over the course of my life. Remember, some of these were from when I was younger and more foolish - or is that younger and more full of dreams and endless possibilities?
  1. A ballerina (then I realized why my Mother didn't name me Grace).
  2. A zookeeper/elephant trainer.
  3. A poet (Hey, I did that - I had one poem published once, that counts, right?).
  4. A teacher (it's a family occupation but I always did like to be different - I did substitute for a while).
  5. A nurse ( then I volunteered at the hospital and realized I couldn't stand the blood or the smells).
  6. A babysitter (seemed like a good idea when my kiddos were little but I really didn't like it-it really is different when someone else's kid throws up on you).
  7. A hard hitting reporter (I really didn't have the heart for it).
  8. P.R. person for a non-profit or mid-size company (that's the one I went to school for).
  9. Counselor (loved my minor in psychology - too much work to get a useful degree).
  10. Travel agent.
  11. Jigsaw puzzle tester.
  12. Great American novel writer.
  13. Independently wealthy travel writer and photographer.

So, what do you think I ought to "be when I grow up"? I've got to say that I never dreamed I'd be trying to figure this out at almost 50!

1 comment:

Momisodes said...

Man, I would love to be a jigsaw puzzle tester.

I'm sorry to hear about the unexpected unemployment. The economy is just horrid and so many are feeling it these days. We've been hit with it as well.

Hope things turn around soon.