Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Two for Tuesday - yadseuT rof owT

Be Still and know that I am God.


Psalms 46:19



  • Sometimes I feel like it is hard to hear what God is telling me. Sometimes I think He is being stubbornly silent. What I'm discovering, and what is true about some of the decisions I've been trying to make recently, is that it usually isn't that He is silent but that I am not listening. I am not taking time to "be still". I am busying myself with distractions or busying my mind with a barrage of points and counterpoints until all I hear is static. I intentionally, even if unknowingly, create enough noise to avoid hearing what I am afraid to hear - to avoid recognizing if He is asking me to do something I don't want to do or to go a direction that will be hard or uncomfortable for me.



  • There are currently lots of things going on in my life that require decisions. Not your run of the mill "what will I fix for dinner" kinds of decisions, but life altering decisions. I have been struggling to make most of them - going back and forth, trying to weigh the positives and negatives of each option and all the potential outcomes and scenarios. The result was having no peace, being frustrated and being no closer to a decision. Then on Sunday at church the pastor talked about how we complicate things rather than keeping them as simple as they actually are. Another young man spoke about a situation where he had to rely on God's guidance which he was only receiving one "step" at a time.


Hmmmmm. Be still, keep it simple, and be willing to take one trusting step at a time. I think I'll try that.

No comments: