Tuesday, March 4, 2008

I Didn't Really Fall Off the Face of the Earth- But It Sure Feels Like It

Hi to all my bloggy friends! I know it's been a long time without a post so let me update you as to why. Saturday Feb. 23rd my husband, daughter (the pregnant one), and I were on our way to do some shopping in Indianapolis when we were hit by a full size pick-up truck that had been stolen. The man driving the truck ran the red light and hit us at between 45-50 mph. I was driving (what used to be my cute HHR), my husband was in the passenger seat and my daughter was sitting behind me. Each person's placement is important in that we know that God for-knew this accident would happened and placed our daughter in the back seat. Normally on a trip like this my husband would sit in the back where he has a little more shoulder room and let her sit in front to visit with me. He & I both thought of mentioning doing that before we left home on Saturday, but for some reason (God), neither of us said anything. The car was hit at the front wheel and front of the passenger side door so my husband sustained the worst injuries. He has four broken ribs, had a punctured, collapsed lung and a compound/compression fracture in the first lumbar of his back. The lung is doing really well and the ribs and knee are healing. The back requires a brace which we refer to as his Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle shell. He will probably be in it for 3 months. With the combination of injuries (ribs on his right side, knee fracture on the left) someone must be with him all the time. Daughter and baby are doing fine. She was able to get out of the car herself and was monitored at the hospital to check the baby and both are doing well. She has some serious bruising and a cut on her neck from the combination of her seat belt and her necklace. I was knocked unconscious so I don't remember any of the actual accident. We're not sure if my nose was broken or just bloodied but my son and his wife said that when they arrived at the ER I looked in worse shape than my husband. Thankfully, I am just bruised about everywhere, both internally and externally. (Who knew your body could make an entire rainbow on its own!) So, while I am thankful that it was clearly not any of our times to fall off the face of the Earth, it definitely feels like I took that big a fall. Needless to say my vehicle (formerly known as my HHR) is totaled. We were very well cared for by the EMT's and Methodist Hospital and are very grateful to the nurses, doctors and staff and the many people who have prayed, called, cooked, and help in numerous ways throughout this ordeal. We have seen God's hand all over this experience and my husband and I have both commented on important lessons that we have learned from it. So my Two For Tuesday thoughts are the two most important lessons we've learned:
  1. God is in control - always.
  2. God, family and friends are the only real priorities in life. None of the rest of it matters.

My blogging may be intermittent over the next few weeks but I have a lot I want to share with all of you about the things this "accident" has taught/shown me.

No comments: