There was a "reduction in force" at work today and I am now among the statistics of the unemployed! Here is my list of 13 things to do when you unexpectedly lose your job.
- Do a Thursday Thirteen post about it.
- Try to figure out what to do with all the
junkimportant things that have been accumulating in your desk drawers over the last 6+ years when you get home with them.
- Try to do as many fun things as you can while pretending like it is a snow day rather than a permanent, scary situation.
- Try to ignore that urge to throw up.
- Plot how you're going to take over the company someday with the funds from your penny stocks once the market goes back sky high. (Ha!)
- Try to remember everyone that you should let know about the situation so they aren't shocked when they call/come by where you used to work.
- Check out the themes for Photo Hunters for the next several weeks since you'll have plenty of time to find creating things to photograph for them.
- Try to find out where the unemployment office is since you've never been there before.
- Contact your son, the accountant, about what to do about your 401K.
- Pray congress does something very,very,very soon about health care since you will have no insurance in two weeks.
- Start figuring out a plan of attack for cleaning closets, drawers, and all those other things you've been meaning to do for months but didn't have time. Then straighten your bookcase and put all those unread in "read next" order.
- Be grateful for how supportive and encouraging your husband, family, and friends have already been - that's something that can't be taken away.
- Assure your blog readers that you are okay, that this hasn't really sunk in yet, but that God is good and has always had something better for you "in the wings" when a curtain closed. Remind them, and yourself, that He knew this was coming even though you didn't.