Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Random Dozen - Christmas Edition



1. Gingerbread: For or against? Discuss.

Generally "for". I don't really like gingerbread cookies but I have had some delicious gingerbread cake. I love looking at gingerbread houses people have made (or gingerbread churches in the case of some talented people). This year I am building my first gingerbread house, soooooo, after that I may change my vote to "against"!

2. Is it important to you to always stay (live) close to family?

Yes. I love having most of our family within easy driving distance. I'd hate being more than an hour or so away from everyone.

3. Which holiday pretend character do you wish really existed?

I think Santa would be a fine choice. He is generous, jolly, and encourages people to be good. He should give up that pipe though.

4. Which holiday movie best represents how you feel about Christmas or life?

Miracle on 34th Street - "you have to believe".

5. Is there a particular Christmas song that you're enjoying now? Any that you're tired of?

Mary Did You Know is one of my favorites. I never get tired of it or Silent Night. Tired of that Wham song already - sorry Lid...

6. What is your favorite way to remember those less fortunate at Christmastime?

Donating to charity has always been a part of Christmas for us each year. When the kids were young they chose toys to give to Toys for Tots. Now that everyone is grown, each year we donate to a charity or charities as part of their Christmas. Some years it has been one charity and other years different ones for the guys & girls or a different one for each depending on their personal interests.

7. Does it upset you to see "Xmas" instead of Christmas? How about "Happy Holidays" etc., instead of "Merry Christmas?"

I definitely prefer Merry Christmas but am not offended by Happy Holidays. I am, however, offended by Xmas. It is at best lazy and at worst removing Christ - the real point of it all.

8. How many Christmas programs are you attending this month?

Just Christmas Eve services at church - the kids are too old to be in any programs and the grands are too young.

9. Are you dreaming of a white Christmas? Any chance of that dream becoming a reality?

Yes and yes! I'm hopeful that we will have snow this year.

10. Tell me about a Christmas present you received as a child. Pics are always nice.

Two come to mind. The first was my bouncing horse. I must have been about three or four when I got it and I still have it. The only photo I have would be inappropriate since I was apparently doing my Lady Godiva imitation! The second was several years later when I got the dollhouse I'd been wanting. The best part was that the one I got had a swimming pool and backyard patio furniture with it too. Wooo hooo, my doll family was rich!

11. How many Christmas parties are you attending this month?

Two - or three if you count Christmas Eve at my in-laws.

12. How do you keep yourself centered on the significance of Christmas?

We listen to lots of Christmas music and my devotions for December are focused on Christmas.

1 comment:

Greg C said...

I am tired of the Wham song too. I would take the chipmumk song over the Wham song anyday. :)